Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Election Day Welcome

Election Day, democracy in action, seems like an excellent time to start this blog. You need at least two things to blog: Technology and freedom of expression.

A year spent in Northern Ireland showed me firsthand what happens when people have been barred from participating in political decision-making. I also saw the frustrations that arise when the opportunity does arrive, but people aren’t really prepared to take advantage of it. They don't have the know-how.

Democracy has occupied a pretty small slice of human history. We need to appreciate it, nurture it, and improve it.

What I hope to do with this blog:

  • Alert you to facts that seem important to notice.
  • Let you know about new developments, and the latest research, on ways to improve the quality of life for individuals and communities.
  • Tell you what I see in those facts and developments that is worth your attention.

My professional life is focused on research about social issues, with special attention to the vulnerable. So you can expect a slant in that direction.

Please share your thoughts. I want to understand how you feel about what I say and what you find useful. Please comment – and please point me to other information sources or suggest topics you’d like to put on the table here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to vote! I'll stop by my voting place after work.

Anonymous said...

We hope to hear more about what you say on this.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! I look forward to reading your future comments. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing your commentary on the 2008 Presidential Election outcome!